Choice is always a balance between performance, features and cost. This guide will help you decide the best balance for you. If you are still unsure, ask one of our retailers. They’ll give you expert advice.
- 3 minutes to erect
- Standing room
- Class-leading storm resistance
- Use with open fire or stove
- Use on its own or with any model of floor or inner tent
- Door: Double-zip with integral mosquito protection
- Smoke cap: Single piece with two opening points, controllable from inside the tent
- Storm cords: supplied loose
- Hanging loop for drying
- Storage bag with drawcord top and compression straps
All the features of Onyx,
with these enhancements:
- Smoke cap: Double piece with six opening points, controllable from inside the tent. Integral chimney opening. Mosquito protection to top piece. Tighter fitting by use of fibreglass spacer rods
- Storm cords: pre-tied and fitted with holders
- Advanced compression bag for tighter packing
- Mosquito protection sewn in to top edge of tent
- Enhanced floor fitting with toggle and ring arrangement
- Reinforcement edge for better wear resistance around bottom edge of tent
- 1 rain-protected, mosquito-netted air intake at bottom edge of tent for improved ventilation and smoke control
All the features of Zirkon,
with these enhancements:
- 3 rain-protected, mosquito-netted air intakes at bottom edge of tent for optimum ventilation and smoke control
- Best quality fabrics. It is the relentless pursuit of the best fabric - chosen for performance not price - that puts Safir in a class of its own.
Safir is used by professionals in the most extreme conditions - in ice fields, in storm force gales, on top of glaciers or in blazing heat
- Packaged in a reusable heavy duty cardboard tube
Onyx range: ‘Base’ Nordic tipis, are solid, dependable tents perfect for family camping and many outdoor activities. They are portable, spacious and easy to pitch.
Zirkon range: ‘Comfort’ Nordic tipis are high quality, well equipped tents providing the perfect balance between price and performance for a wide range of adventurous activities.
Safir range: ‘Pro’ Nordic tipis are top-of-the range for materials, construction, convenience and extreme use.
Breathable or lightweight fabric?
Breathable cotton/polyester (cp):
- + It lets condensation out, so you have a more comfortable atmosphere inside the tent.
This is especially valuable during winter time.
- + Better protection against the sun’s UV rays.
- — Strong winds can force small raindrops to penetrate the fabric (use an inner-tent).
- — The impregnation could be ruined/damaged by chemicals such as anti–mosquito
preparations, hand–creams or soaps.
Lightweight fabric (light):
- + Makes your Nordic tipi easier to carry.
- + Resists storm–rain better than ’cp’.
- — Less comfortable and cosy atmosphere than ’cp’.
Tip: choose cotton/polyester fabric unless you are trekking, when you will be carrying the tent long distances.
How big should it be?
Use our floor plans and images to visualise the space you need. Think how far you must carry the tent and how many people there are to help. Also, a bigger tent is more sensitive to snow and strong winds.
Tip: if you are not limited by weight and weather, think bigger for the extra comfort.
How much should I spend?
Some say Tentipi® Nordic tipis are expensive. But they are so much more than a tent. They are your home in your rucksack, not just a shelter. And, at the end of a long day outdoors, isn’t home comfort worth paying a bit more for?
Onyx is a fine tent and will cope with much the elements can throw at it. But if you need better ventilation or more extreme materials, choose Zirkon or Safir.
They all offer you versatility, safety, comfort and durability in varying degrees.
Tip: if you like both trekking and less energetic activities, and if you can afford it, choose a smaller-size Safir light, plus a bigger Safir cp to cover both needs instead of compromising.